Saturday, October 17, 2009

Lesson learned...

A few weeks ago, I released version 2 of Bracket Man, the free version of the bracket manger. I did this because after the huge success I had, over 1500 iPhone app downloads in the first 6 weeks, I realized I could do so much more with this iPhone app. So, when I embarked on creating a paid version of the iPhone App, Bracket Man Pro, I decided to make some changes to the free version as well, giving it a facelift to look like the pro version. Since the pro version has double elimination, I figured it best to make the free version single elimination only, but wanted to get exposure to pro by capitalizing on the success of the free version. To do this, I opted to have the same views, on both versions, with one difference. The free version, instead of creating a double elimination bracket, would simply give the user a message telling them double elimination brackets were only available in the Pro version. First time through the approval process, it went perfectly. No issues. Fast forward 2 weeks, when I tried to get version 2.1 out. Bracket Man Pro, the paid iPhone App, went through without a hitch. However, the "lite" version got rejected. Why? Because, it turns out, Apple doesn't like "upselling" in the products, and viewed that message as somehow breaking the app. So, to fix this, I quickly (within 8 hours) removed the bracket type switch from the lite version, and resubmitted it. That was well over 10 days ago, and I'm still waiting for approval. How long will it take? Your guess is as good as mine ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment